10 November 2006

A blog by any other name.

It recently occurred to me that "Deal With It" would make an even better name for my blog than "Nonprofit Curmudgeon," since the former is turning out to be the underlying theme here.

Most of us have trouble with some area of nonprofit operations. For example, just about anything related to finance or accounting evokes in me a complicated mix of anxiety, irritation, terror, and boredom. I try to compensate for this by being especially nice and respectful to colleagues who are experts in this area. If I calm down and show an interest, they might teach me something I need to know, or even bail me out of trouble.

However, I've run into more than my share of executive directors who do not cope well. They do not just deal with it. Fortunately, I happen to be living in a culture where commodification of concepts is the norm, and it is now possible to purchase a range of products emblazoned with the slogan, "put on your big girl panties and deal with it." Oddly enough, I haven't been able to find this printed on a pair of real underpants, but there are at least a dozen other products, such as tote bags, t-shirts, and key chains available.

I can think of a number of nonprofit professionals who need to put on their big girl panties, and many of them are boys. Perhaps this will turn out to be the season's trendy anonymous gift?

But first, I'd like to edit the slogan a little. Since so many of my frustrations stem from the technophobia of nonprofit executive directors, I'd like it to be, "put on your big girl panties and deal with I.T."

No comments: