14 March 2011

A message from the Office of the High Commissioner for Expectation Management

One of this blog's dear readers has posted a comment, reprehending my prose style for its profanity, ugliness, and immaturity.

On reflection, I see this as a teachable moment for those who are shocked and offended. Having devised little lessons and assignments before, I will not hesitate to propose one now.

  1. Find piece of paper, and write down the phrases "nonprofit curmudgeon" and "anonymous rants."

  2. Read those phrases to the next ten intelligent nonprofit professionals that you meet, and ask them what they would expect to find in a blog described in those terms.

  3. Write down what they tell you.

  4. Review your notes.

  5. Review the content of this blog.

  6. Compare the expectations described by intelligent nonprofit professionals with the content of this blog.

  7. STFU.

What you see is what you get. I would not dream of claiming that my language is tasteful, beautiful, or mature. Moreover, I publish this blog to amuse myself and to blow off steam. If you don't like it, you needn't read it. Just go away. But if the latter injunction seems too harsh, let me invite you, in my heartiest and most collegial manner, to publish a blog of your own, in which you amuse yourself and blow off steam. But in a nice way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Curmudgeon: If readers don't like what you say and how you say it, maybe you should offer to refund in full the fees you change for access to your blog. ;-) All the best from a Satisfied Customer. P.S. I'd be happy to triple what I pay. I mean, my god, 3 x $0 still equals $0.